Tuesday, February 21, 2006

It's Public....

because I don't have anything to hide.

Since there is further interest in my previous blog, please allow me to further explain.

ACCOUNTABILITY
Stephen and I have a rule that I am not allowed in his room after 10 PM, no matter what. The door is never closed if I’m in there, no matter the day or the time or the subject matter. He has never entered my bedroom. Ever.

Our roommates (his 2 and my 3) are our active accountability partners who ask us the ‘Hard Questions’ pertaining to the purity of our relationship. We both have 2 close friends out of state who aid in keeping us accountable to our commitment to purity and give us advice. They are kept up to date but since they are not here locally, it is necessary to implement other forms of accountability to safeguard our relationship from a sin that so quickly entangles. All have been very active and do a wonderful job to keep us straight on a weekly basis.

Prior to our engagement, Stephen and I drafted a covenant between us and our Father to clarify lines of purity in our relationship. We signed it, made copies, and gave one to each accountability partner we had so they knew what questions to ask and by what guidelines we are following.

We both needed clear guidelines drawn so a healthy level of respect would be maintained throughout not only our dating relationship and our engagement, but into our marriage as well. The fight gets harder after marriage. Especially one centered on God. Satan hates that the most.

MORE DETAILS
Valentine’s Day was very special me and for Stephen. We looked at the scrap book I made for him in his room until 10:18 pm, and then his roommate came up and reminded us of the time! We were past due to move our get-together down stairs. Since Stephen hadn’t given me the rest of Valentines yet, he asked for permission from his roommates for an extension so we could have a little more time together, and told them what we were going to do. We had a time limit and guidelines to follow and we did just that.

Nothing happened during that time that we needed to ask for forgiveness for from God or from each other, and our accountability partners understand that the covenant we wrote and made with each other was kept. No disrespect was imparted. Nothing was touched that shouldn’t have been. Our relationship is healthy. One act of tender kindness from one adult to another which doesn’t break the laws God has set for our protection is permissible. This isn’t the case for anyone’s relationship at any time.

WHO IS IT FOR?
There are some people who couldn’t handle that level of temptation and Satan would have a green light to come in and do his work. There are some people who are too young to handle that kind of responsibility. Some relationships aren’t to that point yet either, when an intimate moment such as a massage in a romantic setting is appropriate. When there isn’t a definite plan to be married, such as between high schoolers and even some college students, it is not a good idea to share yourself this intimately with someone whom you are not planning to spend the rest of your life with.

As for writing about the happenings in my life: there is an appropriate level of sharing that can take place in a pubic setting that doesn’t embarrass anyone. You don’t know what that level is until someone lets you know that they were bothered with your details.

When I wrote my details about Valentines Day I had in mind grown female readers, my close friends, who know the standard to which Stephen and I keep our relationship. I’ll keep young readers in mind for future postings.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I hope I wasn't considered one of those young readers....I have been married for almost 6 years now and Abby I have to tell you I admire you two! All of it will really be worth it in the end! Good Luck on the rest of the days until you are married. Even after you are married though remember there is still a certain amount of respect and honor that you two should hold each other to. But I guess someone like you would already know that! I love you abby and even though I don't know him I love stephen as well you guys are perfect!~heather cunningham

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I post this mostly so other can read it, not for Abby's benefit. I am a roommate- I have been in the room when Abby has recieved a message. I wasn't uncomfortable or embarrassed. It is done in a manner that everyone is kept decent and I have no doubt that this was the same on Valentine's day. I can vouch for the accountability of Stephen's roommates, because we have talked, and share the same standards. I think that some people that do not know the couple in the manner that those living close and witnessing the relationship do, might think of this "gift" from Stephen in the common secular movie fashion but I assure you this was not the case, and that they share a strong desire to please God in their relationship.

Hope that sheds clarity. If not...I will go on. I think it's good for whomever to show concern and I hope you are assured that this was an "ok" thing.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey baby,
Talked to mom and heard things were a little hairy on your end. I just wanted to drop you a little note. Stay strong like you always have. You are a great women, and nobody can change that. Fight like I do for you. Baby girl, God has brought you and the rest of our family so far. Don't give up. You have a great man of God in your life, and a brother that can claim he has a war trauma. (funny). Be what I strive to be babe. Be strong. I fight for you and our family so hard. I try everyday to make a statement in your name. You are my insperation. Stay that way, and allow me to be the same for you. I want to pray for you on here if that is ok!!! You can't answer me, so I will do it anyway. Shut up and bow your head. Father, our God in whom we trust, this very hour Lord, I call upon your grace and mercy. You have delivered so many people in our world from the hands of our brothers. God I ask of you now, to take the heart of my sister and lift it to the heavens. I ask that those that come forward and try to strike her, would be convicted of their crimes against your child. You and you alone, can change the hearts of the weak, and I ask you to change them now Lord. God, you have raised a female warrior, that will stand for you when everyone else falls, a women that will cry for anothers pain, and a women that would give her life in the name of salvation. Lord honor her now. God I thank you and praise you for the man you have brought to her. She deserves nothing less. God bless Stephen my brother. Father I pray that you welcome him into her life the way I have. Bless them both Lord. Teach them what no man knows of you, Bless them with things no man has seen, and provide for them the way no man has been blessed. Be our guide Lord. I bless and praise your holy and merciful name. Amen. Take care baby girl. Less then 80 days. I will be there to help you out. I love you, yo little BIGGER bro, Dan

Friday, February 24, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Daniel is such a good brother. Abby keep the faith I don't know what is going on but if you ever need someone to talk to who isn't there to be sideful or whatever you know I am here!!! See you in June ~Heather

Friday, February 24, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, it took me awhile to be able to get on here and "post a comment." Abby, when I talked to you last Sunday, the joy in your voice just made my day. I can tell you are so happy with the direction your life is going, and the man in this world that was placed for you to walk with. God knows exactly what He is doing in all of our lives, and your and Stephen's lives are no exception! You guys are so awesome, that I can't even express it enough. You deserve every blessing that God pours out on you, and I love you like a sister. (Even though I don't technically have one, so I guess I love you like I think I would love a sister :) ) I think it's awesome, the whole thing about you and Stephen not kissing before your wedding day. That almost sounds like something you would see in the movies. Y'all are such an inspiration, and I pray that God continues pouring His blessings upon you all the days of your lives. I LOVE YOU!!! (and my pretty silk flowers.) Your sister in Christ, Jenna

Sunday, February 26, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's a little late to comment on this entry, but I want to tell you Abby, that I think it's great that you two have such a close relationship and can handle the temptations that can arise in such situations. It shows great inner strength and wisdom, and undoubtedly, respect. I don't think you need to explain yourself to anyone, nor does Stephen, because what happens in your relationship with him is personal, and I know you two have values that you are going to stick to. You two know the standards that you have set for your relationship, and the two of you know how far you can go without breaking your pact with God. I admire your strength and I praise God for the close relationship you two have. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks!!!

Lindsay

Thursday, March 09, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home